Self-ingestion of vasmol dye
Department of General Medicine, Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh, India
Keywords: Angioneurotic edema, paraphenylenediamine, tracheostomy, vasmol
Vasmol, a commonly used hair dye, is becoming apparent as one of the major causes of suicidal poisoning in India. The toxic components in the dye include paraphenylenediamine, sodium ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid, resorcinol, and propylene glycol. Acute poisoning by consumption of dye leads to characteristic angioedema of the cervicofacial region along with multiorgan dysfunction. Early intervention with tracheostomy can be lifesaving in such cases and helps in preventing the morbidity and mortality associated with it.
How to cite this article: Kaur J, Garg A, Kaur B. Self-ingestion of vasmol dye. Turk J Emerg Med 2023;23:61-3.
A proper written consent is present, which was obtained from the patient for the use of the data related to this case.
The authors certify that they have obtained all appropriate patient consent forms. In the form, the patient has given her consent for her images and other clinical information to be reported in the journal. The patient understand that name and initials will not be published and due efforts will be made to conceal identity, but anonymity cannot be guaranteed” as per the standard format.
JK, AG: Case presentation, data collection, investigations, and writing of the original draft.
BB: Literature review, writing of original draft including conclusion, references, and formatting.